Generation X consumers are flocking online, responsible for half of all retail search volume in the run up to Christmas on the Bing Ads Network as mobile searches rise ten-fold.
The ‘UK Retail Insights Report’ from Bing Ads, looked at consumer trends ahead of one of the busiest retail days of the year – Black Friday.
It found that marketers can expect mobile search enquiries to increase by nine times the day ahead of Black Friday and ten times on the day itself – a day that saw UK consumers spend an estimated £810 million last year.
– Black Friday is ‘Mobile Day’ – with over half of all retail intent searches made from mobile devices
– Generation X (35-64 year olds) had the highest search enquires
– Jewellery was the most popular searched for product on mobile devices
Based on research from 33 per cent of internet retail users who used Bing in 2014, marketers can expect mobile search enquiries to increase by nine times the day ahead of Black Friday and ten times on the day itself – a day that saw UK consumers spend an estimated £810 million last year.
The report revealed that over half (54%) of all retail intent searches were made from mobile and tablet devices during Black Friday last year – with more than one in four of these (41%) coming from a smartphone.
Black Friday’s most searched for retail categories in 2014:
The Bing Ads UK Retail Insights Report shows that ‘Generation X’ is the most investigative when it comes to shopping around Black Friday, with more than 50 per cent of retail search queries on the Bing Ads Network coming from 35-64 year olds.
Commenting on the report, Cedric Chambaz, Head of Marketing, Europe at Bing Ads said: “Our report lifts the lid on when the key search moments for retailers are; notably revealing the increasing trend of people seeking to get more done on the go with the rise of mobile shopping search. Brands need to capitalise on these insights by ensuring they’re offering the right content, in the right place and at the right time in the run up to Christmas. By knowing how and when consumers are searching, brands can think beyond the search box in how to do this most effectively.”
Bing Ads’ top tips for search marketers to take advantage of the search frenzy:
1. Make sure your website is mobile optimised and ready for the expected influx of mobile searches during the festive period
2. Where possible, get your deals front and centre on your website ahead of Black Friday to take advantage of the pre-deal investigative shoppers
3. Manage budgets carefully in the last week of November to ensure it’s not exhausted before the end of the day when many conversions take place