After reviewing 300,000 creatives served globally, ad serving firm MediaMInd has discovered that certain formats are performing far better in engaging more users and for longer.
MediaMind reveals the top 5 performing online ad formats in a new study released today entitled “5 ad formats that make a difference for your brand.”
To identify the most effective formats, MediaMind analyzed the Dwell Rate and Average Dwell Duration of over 300,000 creatives.
The Dwell metric was independently evaluated by comScore in previous research that showed that Dwell is linked to higher brand effectiveness and is a more relevant indicator of an ad’s impact than a click count.
The top 5 performing formats are:
1. Sidekick (IAB Rising Star) – Delivers 60% higher Dwell Rate and 37% higher Average Dwell Duration than polite banners
2. Pushdown (IAB Rising Star) – Users were 164% more likely to engage with a Pushdown as compared to a regular Polite Banner (as measured by Dwell Rate)
3. Homepage Takeover – Dwell Rates for Homepage Takeovers were 32% higher than Polite Banners and Average Dwell Duration 67% higher
4. Messenger Ads – Dwell Rate is 193% higher than Polite Banners, while Average Dwell Duration is 163% higher
5. Video Extender – Dwell Rates 103% above Polite Banners and Average Dwell Duration lasting 39% longer than Polite Banners
“Creatives and brand marketers have been longing for digital display ad formats that allowthem to take full advantage of interactive’s rich canvas,” said Peter Minnium, Head of Digital Brand Initiatives, IAB. “These research findings from MediaMind are gratifying and exciting, clearly illustrating that brand-friendly ad units such as the Sidekick and the Pushdown are delivering on their promise. It not only points to great success for these two formats, but potentially all of the IAB Rising Stars units as well.”
The research found that the Sidekick delivers a 60% higher Dwell Rate than a Polite Banner, and that users are 164% more likely to engage with a Pushdown banner.
“As users shift from more traditional media to online advertising, advertisers must recognize that the ad format is an essential part of the creative,” said Gal Trifon, General Manager of MediaMind and Chief Digital Officer of parent company DG. “From the tiny Messenger Ad to the Homepage Takeover, the right ad format can really make a difference for a brand.”
The research can be downloaded here.
For more information on MediaMind, visit www.mediamind.com