To coincide with its major rebrand, social network ASKFm has revealed the top 20 teen slang words used on its site.
A few popular, but cryptic, symbols and emojis also made the cut, rounding out a list designed to help parents get in tune with the lingo “teens these days” are using on social apps and sites.
Ask.fm has launched the list to as part of a bid to help parents understand what their children are discussing online.
“Teen language can experience a seismic shift with just a few clicks, texts or posts, and word or even symbol choices can literally change by the day,” said Andrea Cutright, CTO of ASKfm. “Teens use our Q&A platform as a means to express themselves through dialogue so we have our finger on the pulse of how teens talk – be it in the form of acronyms, new definitions or the latest emoji. With this list, parents can now rest easy in the knowledge that being called GOAT is actually a very good thing and OOTD can explain why their teens take four dozen selfies.”
The top 20 terms in ASKfm’s Teen Slang Dictionary include:
• Acronym meaning “post a picture”
• Just like the olden days of parents’ yore, bad still means good but it has shifted slightly and means something even more positive like hot
• Short for relationship
• A symbol meant to represent the cat face made by anime characters when they say something clever, sarcastic, or comment on something cute
• Acronym for “I don’t even know…”
• Acronym meaning “I know, right?”
• Acronym for “outfit of the day;” commonly used to prompt someone to post a picture of their current outfit or to share your current outfit with friends/followers
• Acronym for “shaking my head;” in reference to something distasteful
• The highest rating on a scale of 1-10; used to share approval or express how good something is
• Acronym meaning “that ho over there;” used to describe females with a promiscuous reputation
11. Netflix and chill
• Code for hooking up or a “booty call”
• Used to describe something that is hardcore or extreme, in a good way
• Acronym “as f***” used to express the severity of something (e.g. hot AF)
• Acronym for “to be rude;” usually said before the person shares their true – and harsh – feelings
• Can refer either to friends (your people), or to look at/listen to (e.g. peep this)
• Can refer to hitting someone hard enough to knock them out, missing out on something awesome, or to be extremely high
• Acronym for “greatest of all time”
18. No chill
• Used to describe someone who is being irrational
19. Likers get rate
• A phrase that implies the original poster will rank anyone that likes/comments/answers a post, typically around how cool they are perceived to be or how they look; also used to incent followers to like posts to get something (usually indicated in the post) in return
20. Frog emoji + coffee cup emoji
• Based off a popular meme of Kermit the Frog drinking a cup of tea, teens use this emoji combo to sarcastically imply “but that’s none of my business” or “I’m just saying”
To learn more about these terms and ASKfm, please visit: http://safety.ask.fm/category/blog/.