The largest number of visits to Amazon were on Cyber Monday, not Black Friday, attracting 41 million UK visits over the biggest shopping weekend of the year, according to new research.
Following Cyber Week, Hitwise has provided stats revealing the top sites and products Brits bought this year, including:
- The largest number of visits to Amazon were on Cyber Monday, not Black Friday
- Amazon received 5m visits to their site, with over 2.4m transactions
- Top rising brands were Pretty Little Thing (near 100% increase) and surprisingly, White Stuff (increased 72%)
- There were over 200m visits to online retail sites this year during Black Friday
- The top #1 product was a fitbit
Hitwise Black Friday Cyber Week Online Retail Insights
Black Friday top Stats:
- Visits to the Online Retail industry: Up 1% YoY, an addition of 2.7 million visits, to 200 million visits.
- Top 10 online retailers on Black Friday in Retail Industry:
- Top products on Black Friday (24-Nov) – Product searches to Shopping & Classifieds
|4||nintendo switch black Friday|
|6||fitbit charge 2|
|9||call of duty ww2|
Cyber Monday top visits:
- Visits to Online Retail Industry: Up 7% YoY, an addition of 12.0 million visits, to 195.7 million visits.
- Top 10 on Cyber Monday in Retail Industry:
|9||Marks & Spencer||0.90%|
|10||House of Fraser||0.84%|
- Top products on Cyber Monday (27-Nov)
|5||Google Home Mini|
|8||Fitbit charge 2|
- Amazon snapshot:
On the day of launching their Black Friday sales (17th Nov), Amazon received 40.5 million visits to their site – up 12% compared to previous day. Over 2.4 million transactions processed on the 17th (6.0% conversion rate)
- Largest number of visits were on Cyber Monday, and not Black Friday:
Amazon a 2% increase in visits on Cyber Monday (51.2 million) than Black Friday (50.3 million), due to the continued price cutting on their top products (e.g. Nintendo switch, Sonos, fitbit)
- Saw highest conversions on Black Friday, but more YoY growth on Cyber Monday:
Conversions were still higher on Black Friday – 3.9 million transactions processed (7.7% conversion rate) vs. Cyber Monday of 3.7 million transactions (7.1% conversion rate). Amazon still gained on Cyber Monday, as conversions were up 15% compared to last year (vs. 5% YoY increase on Black Friday).
- Which industries got involved this year?
- Cyber Week is no longer an electronics frenzy. 2017 saw even more participation from non-traditional retail verticals and non-retail sectors: Period = w/e 25-Nov, YoY
- Non-traditional retail verticals: Apparel & Accessories (+14%), Health & Beauty (+21%), Grocery & Alcohol (+20%), House & Garden (+16%), Ticketing (+71%)
- Non-retail sectors: Travel – Accommodation & Destinations (+14%), Travel – Agencies (+20%)
- Winners & Standouts of 2017:
- Top multi-category retailers:
- Top retailers were battling the week before Cyber Week, starting their promos in the week ending 18-Nov.
- Amazon: Similar levels of dominance as 2016, attracting 26% of all retail traffic in the week ending 18-Nov and 25-Nov (or 5% of all industries traffic). Faster growth YoY in week before (compared to retail industry):
– In w/e 18-Nov: Visit share same as last year, conversions grew by 5% YoY (i.e. 16 million confirmations, at 6.2%)
– In w/e 25-Nov: Visit share similar to last year (-1%), conversions were up by 1%.
- eBay: Second largest multi-category retailer, attracting 7% of retail traffic in w/e 25-Nov (which was down 7% YoY), even higher at 9% the week before (up 11% YoY).
- Top rising brands: Visit Share in Shopping & Classifieds, w/e 26-Nov, YoY
Whilst top retailers were starting the week before, a number of fashion and beauty brands capitalised on the week of Black Friday:
- Pretty Little Thing: +98% (up to 50% off, countdown % dropping by the hour)
- White Stuff: +72% (offered 20% off everything)
- Gamiss: +509% (offered up to 90% off everything)
- Beauty Bay: +91% (free delivery, 30% off everything, #getyourclawsout)
- Non-retail sellers: Visit Share in All Industries, w/e 26-Nov, YoY
- Ticketing => Ticketmaster: +119% (Half price tickets on BF, Extra tour dates on Cyber Monday)
- Travel =>
OTAS: com: +18% Hotels.com UK: +13% (up to 50% off) ,
Transport: Virgin Trains: +55% (Half price sale on some routes, e.g. East Coast)
Hotels: Travelodge UK: +27% (30% off)