The UK Government has outlined its plans to enforce its new Digital Economy Act, aimed at cracking down on online piracy.
Under the new scheme, copyright holders will pay 75 per cent of the costs associated with tackling online copyright infringement, while internet service providers will shoulder the remaining burden.
Comsumer groups have warned such a move could push up the price of broadband.
Commenting on the move, the minister for communications said the costs Ed Vaizey, The costs of policing the Digital Economy Act are “proportionate, despite protests from internet service providers who argue the ruling will push up the price of home broadband connections.
Vaizey said that rights holders would absorb 75 per cent of the cost of sending warning letters to web users suspected of online copyright infringement, while internet service providers would be responsible for covering the remaining 25 per cent.
“Protecting our valuable creative industries, which have already suffered significant losses as a result of people sharing digital content without paying for it, is at the heart of these measures,”